Friday

GANG TANGENTS






Everyday in the Evening Standard there are new articles about London's escalating gang problem which, to state the cripplingly obvious, pales in comparison to virtually any major city America.
The first I ever heard of gangs was my brother (coincidentally sitting on an antique sofa in West London wearing a Chicago Bulls hat) teaching me how to do the Bloods sign. My brother and his friends were particularly interested in and had an impressive working knowledge of gangs across America.

I can't quite believe that such high profile rappers openly affiliate themselves with gangs, such as Snoop Dogg the crip (none too subtle on the left).

I'm not sure if many people will be with me on this, but this image of Snoop demonstrating the crip walk reminded me of Victorian photographer Eadweard Muybridge.




No comments:

Post a Comment